Sweet Potato Colcannon
Recipe courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.
4 to 5 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup milk
9 tablespoons butter - divided use
1 bay leaf
2 cups chopped kale
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into a 1 inch dice. Chop onion coarsely.
- Bring sweet potato and onion to boil in a large saucepan and cook until tender; set aside.
- Heat milk, 8 tablespoons butter and bay leaf in a small saucepan. Bring to almost a boil, then remove from heat, discarding bay leaf, and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan heat remaining 1 tablespoon butter with garlic. Sauté kale until wilted.
- Drain water from sweet potatoes and combine with the hot milk and butter mixture. Stir in kale. Season with salt and pepper.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.