Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallow Crème Sauce
These smooth and creamy sweet potatoes are topped with a tempting marshmallow sauce.
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes or 3 (15 ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
1 tablespoon light margarine or butter
1/3 cup evaporated skimmed milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons light margarine or butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook until tender.
- Peel potatoes and place in mixing bowl. Add margarine, evaporated milk, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Spoon into greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Pour Marshmallow Sauce over sweet potato mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20 minutes.
- For Marshmallow Sauce: In small saucepan, melt margarine. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add brown sugar and water, mixing well. Add marshmallows and continue cooking over medium heat until marshmallows melt and sauce thickens.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Tip: Canned sweet potatoes are already cooked.
Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.
Recipe provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.