Sweet Potatoes with Toasted Pecans
Creamy whipped sweet potatoes are topped with toasted marshmallows and pecans for a new take on the classic sweet potato casserole.
Bonus: This side dish can be chilled for up to 24 hours ahead, then reheated for a low-stress, make-ahead recipe.
4 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup pecan halves, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Scrub potatoes and prick with a fork. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Place potatoes in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Roast, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until soft. Cool until easy to handle.
- Halve potatoes; scoop out flesh and discard skin. Press through a fine mesh sieve. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan combine butter and whipping cream; cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer. Fold into the sweet potatoes along with the maple syrup, nutmeg and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake chilled casserole, covered, for 55 minutes, stirring once. Increase oven temperature to 450°F (230°C). Uncover and sprinkle marshmallows on potatoes. Bake, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown. Sprinkle with toasted pecans. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 (1/2-cup) servings; plus leftovers.
To Serve Right Away: Chilling step may be omitted. Proceed through step 3. Increase oven temperature to 450°F (230°C). Sprinkle marshmallow on potatoes. Bake, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown. Sprinkle with toasted pecans.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe; 1/2 cup): 255 kcal cal., 14g fat (7g sat. fat, 1g polyunsaturated fat, 5g monounsatured fat), 33mg chol., 670mg sodium, 30g carb., 3g fiber, 11g sugar, 2g protein.
Recipe provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.