Sweet Potato Balls
Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, deep-fried and crumb-coated sweet potato balls (also called fritters). Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed (hot)
2 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large beaten egg
Finely crushed bread crumbs or corn flakes
- Combine sweet potatoes, butter, salt and egg in mixing bowl. Beat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate.
- When cool shape into balls, roll in sifted bread crumbs or finely crushed corn flakes.
- Fry in hot oil (365°F to 380°F | 185°C to 190°C) until a golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- You can also add 1/4 cup of chopped, blanched almonds or pecans to sweet potato mixture before shaping into balls.
- Use your favorite sauce for dipping.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.