Three Cheese Asparagus Gratin with
Gouda, Muenster and Asiago
An elegant side dish of tender asparagus spears enrobed in a creamy, two cheese sauce topped with asiago cheese and buttery bread crumbs.
4 tablespoons butter
2 pounds (approximately) asparagus, washed and tough ends removed
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Gouda (plain or smoked) cheese, shredded
1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Muenster cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup coarse bread crumbs
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Wisconsin asiago cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a 9x9x2-inch glass baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Arrange the asparagus in the baking dish.
- Gently simmer milk over medium heat. Stir in the cornstarch mixture to thicken slightly. Add the Gouda and Muenster cheeses and whisk in until smooth and creamy; season with the salt. Pour the cheese sauce over the asparagus.
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Toss with the bread crumbs, Asiago and pepper. Sprinkle over the asparagus mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.