Tomato and Zucchini Gratin
A wonderful baked side dish featuring two popular favorites of the summer garden. Use only juicy, vine-ripened tomatoes in this dish—otherwise wait until they are available. However, canned tomatoes (drained) can be substituted, if desired.
1 pound vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 pound zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - divided use
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil or fresh tarragon
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven 400°F (205°C). Lightly grease a gratin dish.
- Season the tomato and zucchini slices with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, herbs, cheese and remaining olive oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Season the bread crumbs with salt and pepper.
- Alternate layers of the tomatoes and zucchini in gratin dish. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top the vegetables.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Makes 4 servings.