Asiago and Asparagus Risotto
This tasty micro-cooked version of risotto eliminates the need for constant stirring as is required in the traditional method.
1 pound fresh asparagus or 1 (10-ounce) package frozen cut asparagus
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) grated Wisconsin Asiago Cheese
- Wash the asparagus, cut off the tough ends, and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Combine the asparagus, water, and salt in a 3-quart covered casserole. Cover and microwave on high power for 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove the asparagus with a slotted spoon, reserve the liquid. Set aside.
- In a glass mixing bowl, combine the butter, onions, and garlic. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and the reserved asparagus liquid. Cover and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Stir. Microwave on medium an additional 10 minutes.
- Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, parsley, and cheese to the rice. Blend lightly. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.