Cheese Asparagus Casserole
A hearty bread, egg and cheddar cheese casserole with asparagus. Serve as a side dish or as a main dish for brunch or supper.
6 slices white bread
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Swiss cheese
4 large eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen cut asparagus
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Wisconsin cheddar cheese
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Arrange cubes in bottom of a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle Swiss cheese evenly over bread.
- Beat together eggs, milk and seasonings. Add onion. Pour over cheese layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 25 minutes.
- Cook asparagus according to package directions. Drain.
- Remove casserole from oven and top with asparagus. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Return dish to oven and bake for 10 to 15 additional minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.