Here's a terrific recipe that incorporates a summer garden favorite with potatoes to make delicious, crispy latkes.
2 zucchini squash
3 large eggs
1/4 cup all purpose flour or use 1/4 cup bread crumbs or use 1/4 cup matzah meal
Salt and white pepper to taste
1/8 cup canola oil (enough to cover bottom of frying pan)
- Peel the potatoes, and set in a bowl of cold water.
- Grate the zucchini, pressing out the excess liquid.
- Grate the onions and potatoes alternately, starting with the onions, to keep the potatoes from discoloring. Press out as much liquid as possible and reserve the starchy sediment, returning it to the potato mixture. Fold in the zucchini. Blend the vegetable mixture with the eggs, flour, salt and white pepper.
- Cover the bottom of a frying pan with oil. Drop batter by the tablespoonful for each latke into the pan and fry, turning once. Drain the golden brown latkes on paper towels.
- Serve with applesauce or sour cream.
Makes 8 servings.