Alaska Cod Chowder with Black Beans and Corn
A hearty Southwestern-style corn and black bean chowder with tender pieces of cod.
1 onion, halved and sliced
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can corn, drained
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
3 cups chicken or fish broth
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound Alaska cod, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
Tortilla chips for garnish
- In large stockpot or steam-jacketed kettle, combined onions, tomatoes in juice, black beans, corn and chiles.
- Add broth, lime juice, chili powder. Bring to boil; reduce to simmer and cook 10 minutes.
- Pan-sear cod in lightly oiled non-stick skillet about 3 minutes; add cod to chowder.
- Simmer chowder additional 20 minutes over medium-low heat.
- For each serving, portion 1 1/2 cups soup into shallow bowl. Garnish with tortilla corn chips, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe courtesy of the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.