Baked Bean Stew
This hearty, flavorful bean and chicken stew can be ready to eat in under 30 minutes thanks to the convenience of canned beans. Serve with warm corn muffins.
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast or tenders, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 (15-ounce) cans baked beans or pork and beans
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans or blackeyes*
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with roasted garlic, undrained
3/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Sauté onion and green pepper in oil in large saucepan until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken and cook over medium heat until browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, and herbs to saucepan; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 8 (1 cup) servings.
*Or use 1 1/2 cups cooked dry-packaged garbanzo beans or blackeyes, drained and rinsed.
- Frozen chopped onion and green pepper can be used.
- Stew can be prepared 1 to 2 days in advance; refrigerate, covered.
- Stew can also be frozen up to 2 months.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 305; Fat 5g; % Calories from Fat 14; Carbohydrate 48g; Folate 128mcg; Sodium 1212mg; Protein 21g; Dietary Fiber 11g; Cholesterol 26mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Bean Education & Awareness Network.