Baked Onion Soup
A fairly quick and easy homemade onion soup ladled over slices of toasted French bread, then topped with sliced Swiss cheese and baked just to melt the cheese.
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
6 cups sliced peeled onions
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 pound French bread, sliced and toasted
6 ounces Swiss cheese, sliced
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Melt butter in a heavy stockpot; sauté onions over medium-low heat until light brown, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onions. Stir in beef broth, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Place toasted slices of French bread in oven-safe serving bowls. Ladle soup over bread and place a slice of Swiss cheese on top of each bowl. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.