Bean-Pasta Soup Mix
This recipe makes enough for six gift bags or jars of tasty bean and pasta soup mix.
3/4 cup dried onion flakes
2 (0.5-ounce) jars dried celery flakes
1/2 cup dried parsley flakes
3 tablespoons dried basil leaves
3 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 (2.25-ounce) jars beef-flavored bouillon granules
1 (16-ounce) package dried black-eyed peas
1 (16-ounce) package dried black beans
1 (16-ounce) package dried kidney beans
1 (16-ounce) package dried navy beans
1 (16-ounce) package small shell pasta, uncooked
- For Herb Mix: Combine first 7 ingredients; divide evenly, and place in 6 airtight plastic bags. Add 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 teaspoon bouillon granules to each bag. Label "Herb Mix" and seal.
- For Bean Mix: Combine black-eyed peas and next 3 ingredients; divide evenly and place in 6 airtight plastic bags. Label "Bean Mix" and seal.
- For Pasta: Place 1/3 cup pasta into 6 airtight plastic bags. Label "Pasta" and seal.
- To Assemble Soup Mixes: Place 1 bag herb mix, 1 bag bean mix, and 1 bag pasta in a gift container; repeat procedure with remaining bags.
Makes 6 Soup Mixes.
Directions for Gift Recipe Card:
1. Sort and wash bean mix; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water 2-inches above beans; soak 8 hours or overnight. Drain.*
2. Combine beans, 3 quarts water, herb mix, 1 carrot, chopped, and 2/3 cup chopped cooked ham in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Add 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained, and pasta; cook 15 to 20 minutes.
*Note: To use the quick-soak method, place beans in a Dutch oven; cover with water 2-inches above beans. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover, and let stand 1 hour. Drain.