Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
The aroma of fresh herbs will fill your
kitchen when you prepare this stew. Makes wonderful leftovers.
Beef Stew with Fresh
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 medium onions, chopped
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 bunch small fresh cilantro, cleaned and chopped (leaves only)
1 cup water
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup fresh chopped basil
- Purée diced tomatoes and set aside.
- Place beef in a stockpot and cook, covered,
over low heat until it begins to sweat. Without adding any liquid,
braise the meat for about 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Uncover the pan and turn the heat to high.
Cook for another 10 minutes, or until the liquid evaporates.
- Add the butter and cook the meat over
medium-high heat for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally,
until it browns.
- Add the onions and potatoes. Cook for
5 more minutes.
- Add reserved puréed tomatoes to
the pan along with cilantro, water, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
Simmer over low heat, covered, for 1 hour.
- Remove cover, stir in basil and simmer
10 more minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 8 servings.