Butternut Squash Soup
An elegant purée of butternut squash soup with a hint of thyme and served with a sprinkling of nutmeg.
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 green onions, chopped
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
Nutmeg for sprinkling
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepot heat oil over low heat. Add chopped green onions (white part only); sauté until browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add peeled, seeded, and diced butternut squash, water, and thyme. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Stir in flour. Cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth; bringing to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in milk.
- In a blender or food processor, blend squash mixture at low speed in batches until smooth. (Caution! Hot liquids create steam which will blow the top off the blender! Be sure to securely hold blender lid down!)
- Serve soup with sprinkled nutmeg.
Makes 6 servings.