Butternut Squash Soup with Pears
Recipe courtesy of California Pear Advisory Board.
3 large Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and cubed
6 strips bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups peeled butternut squash cubes
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon herbs de Provence*
1 cup half-and-half
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Chopped fresh thyme
- Sauté bacon in a large stockpot until crisp; remove from pan and drain on paper towels and crumble. Remove all but 1 tablespoon bacon grease from pot; add onion and sauté over medium heat until browned.
- Add broth, squash, pears and celery to pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then with an immersion blender or in a blender or food processor, purée mixture until smooth.
- Return back to pot and add herbs and bacon. Simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Stir in half-and-half and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chopped fresh thyme.
Makes 8 servings.
*An equivalent substitution is made by mixing 4 parts each of thyme and summer savory to 1 part rosemary.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 230; Calories From Fat: 15; Cholesterol: 30mg; Total Carbs: 20g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 660mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Pear Advisory Board.