California Avocado Zucchini Soup
Recipe courtesy of California Avocado Commission.
4 cups fat-free, chicken broth - divided use
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 green onions, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
2 large ripe California avocados, seeded, peeled and chopped
- In large pot with lid, heat 1 cup broth, onion, green onions, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- When boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining broth and zucchini and bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and allow to cool slightly.
- In food processor, purée zucchini, broth and avocado in batches.
- Return to pan and warm gently.
- Serve in soup bowls and garnish to taste.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 200; Calories From Fat: 110; Total Fat: 13g; Total Carbs: 15g; Fiber: 10g; Protein: 10g; Sodium: 470mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Avocado Commission.