Cauliflower and Aged Cheddar Soup
This superb, creamy cauliflower and aged cheddar cheese soup recipe was created by Chef Steve Fiore Chiappetti.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 leek, white part only, medium dice
1 bay leaf, halved
2 heads cauliflower, broken into florets
1 cup Chardonnay wine
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) Wisconsin Aged Cheddar, shredded
Olive oil for sautéing
4 slices firm bread of your choice, crusts removed and cubed for croutons
- For Soup: Heat olive oil in heavy stockpot and add the diced leek. Sauté until translucent and flexible and the leek releases its sugars.
- Add bay leaf halves and the cauliflower florets. Stir until cauliflower releases juices.
- Add the wine and reduce liquid by half or three-fourths.
- Stir in chicken stock and bring to boil. Continue to boil until cauliflower is tender.
- Add heavy cream and bring back to boil. Remove from heat.
- Remove and discard bay leaf halves. Blend soup to a fine texture.
- Return to stove over low heat. Gradually add shredded Cheddar, whisking until fully incorporated.
- For Garnish: Heat small amount of olive oil in a heavy skillet. Add the bread cubes and sauté until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Ladle the hot soup into serving bowls and divide croutons evenly to garnish.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.