A deliciously creamy cheddar bisque with crispy bits of smoky bacon.
12 slices (about 1/2 pound) bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups milk
4 cups shredded Wisconsin Medium Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup snipped parsley
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a 4 quart saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Reserve about 3 tablespoons bacon drippings in pan. Add onion and garlic; sauté until tender.
- Blend in flour until mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Gradually stir in milk until mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly, until melted.
- Spoon 1 cup of soup into a small bowl. Stir in parsley, mustard and pepper. Stir contents back into saucepan.
- Add bacon.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.