Cheddar, Swiss and Beer Soup
A smooth and hearty cheddar and Swiss cheese soup infused with a pale ale.
2 cups diced onion
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 quarts milk
2 bay leaves
3 cups shredded Wisconsin medium cheddar cheese
3 cups shredded Wisconsin aged Swiss cheese
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 pinch nutmeg
1 1/2 cups pale ale
- Sauté the onion and garlic in butter until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour; cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk. Add the bay leaves; cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese gradually; cook just until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the heat. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg; remove the bay leaves. Stir in the beer and serve.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.