This hearty and satisfying cheese chowder with carrots, celery, green onions, red potatoes and two types of cheese, Swiss and sharp cheddar is sure to please.
2 to 3 tablespoons butter
3 cups diced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
3/4 cup chopped green onions
4 cups peeled, diced round red potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 (10.5-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups (2%) low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup Chablis or other dry white wine
3/4 cup shredded Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded Wisconsin Swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add carrots, celery, and green onions; sauté 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes or until tender.
- Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk, blending with a wire whisk; add to pan.
- Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg; cook 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add wine; cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; add cheeses, stirring until cheeses melt.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.