Cheese Zucchini Soup
Yet another tasty use for the perennial garden veggie, zucchini—with smoked bacon and cheddar cheese, this soup is sure to please.
4 slices bacon
1/2 cup finely-chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
2 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
1 tablespoon chopped pimento
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt - divided use
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Cheddar cheese
- In large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, crumble and set aside for garnish.
- Sauté onion and green pepper in bacon fat until tender.
- Add zucchini, pimento, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer about 5 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare cheese soup base: Melt butter in 3 quart saucepan. Blend in flour, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Remove from heat; stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly until melted.
- Add vegetables with liquid to soup base. Heat to serving temperature.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.