Recipe courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.
4 ounces dried tart cherries, chopped (3/4 cup)
2 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth - divided use
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon fresh chopped garlic
1 pound lean ground turkey (7% fat Jennie O)
1 roasted red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inchcubes
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
4 cups chopped fire-roasted tomatoes*
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, or 1 (16-ounce) can, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat 1 cup of the broth. Place cherries in small mixing bowl. Add hot broth and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Do not brown garlic. Add turkey and cook until it is no longer pink.
- Add roasted bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander, mustard and oregano. Cook mixture over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and remaining cup of broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, cherries and cilantro. Continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes or until mixture is just heated through. Season with additional salt if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use Muir Glen canned fire-roasted tomatoes for optimum flavor; may used regular canned chopped tomatoes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 223; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 41mg; Total Carbs: 28g; Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 14g; Protein: 17g; Sodium: 448mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.