Chickpea and Grilled Eggplant Soup with Brie
This Mediterranean-style chickpea and eggplant soup with Brie cheese was created by Chef Kent Rathbun.
2 cups garbanzo beans, rinsed, sorted
3 large eggplants (about 1 pound each), cut in half
1/2 cup olive oil - divided use
8 ounces shallots, peeled, chopped
4 ounces garlic cloves, peeled, chopped
2 cups yellow onions, peeled, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 quarts chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
8 ounces Wisconsin Brie cheese, rind removed and cubed
1/2 cup grated Wisconsin Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Soak garbanzo beans in water overnight; drain. Place beans and 4 cups water in large pot. Bring to boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, until beans are tender. Drain; set aside.
- Rub eggplant halves with 2 ounces olive oil; place on wood grill. Grill eggplant slowly until eggplant starts to soften. Remove from grill and cool. Remove skin and set eggplant aside.
- Heat 2 ounces olive oil in large soup pot. Lightly sauté shallots, garlic, onions and celery until light brown.
- Add garbanzo beans and eggplant; continue cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock; simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cream, Brie and Parmesan cheese; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; season with black pepper, salt and basil. Reserve some beans for garnish.
- Purée soup mixture in blender until smooth. Garnish with reserved beans.
Makes 16 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.