Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
A beautiful marriage of contrasting flavors
create a memorable, hot and hearty soup.
Another delicious recipe from our Family-Favorite
Chicken Soup with
Cilantro and Lime
- 1 (approximately 3-pounds) stewing chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chicken base* or bouillon
- 8 ounces thin egg noodles, cooked according
to package directions
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, whole or coarsely
chopped (no stems)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Sour cream for topping
- Lime wedges for additional flavor
- Warm flour tortillas for accompaniment
- Remove the neck and giblets, save in the
freezer for another use or discard as desired. Wash chicken inside
and out thoroughly. Dry thoroughly with paper towels, inside
- Heat the oil over medium heat a large
cooking pot and brown whole chicken until golden brown.
- Add enough water to just cover the chicken.
Bring to boil over medium-high heat, skimming off any foam and
fat that accumulates on the surface.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot,
salt, pepper and bay leaf; cover, reduce heat and simmer for
1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; cool slightly
and remove the meat from bones, discarding bones and skin. Shred
chicken into chunks and return to pot. Add the
chicken base and noodles; reheat just to a boil. Remove from
heat and stir in the cilantro leaves and lime juice.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, top with
a dollop of sour cream and pass the lime wedges and tortillas
for accompaniment, as desired.
Makes 8 servings.
*I prefer and use Redi-Base soup bases
available at www.redibase.com.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8
of recipe; does not include toppings and accompaniments): 189.2
calories; 33% calories from fat; 6.9g total fat; 55.2mg cholesterol;
580.6mg sodium; 381.8mg potassium; 13.8g carbohydrates; 1.8g
fiber; 2.6g sugar; 12.0g net carbs; 17.6g protein.
Copyright Hope Pryor, please see Terms
of Use. Photograph by Hope Pryor; property of CooksRecipes.com.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.