Chicken Noodle Soup with Cilantro and Lime
A beautiful marriage of complementary flavors create a memorable, hot and hearty soup.
1 (approximately 3-pounds) stewing chicken
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Water, as needed
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large bay leaf
1 1/2 tablespoons chicken base* or bouillon granules
8 ounces thin egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, whole or coarsely chopped (no stems)
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
Sour cream for topping
Lime wedges for accompaniment
Warm flour tortillas for accompaniment
- Remove the neck and giblets, save in the freezer for another use or discard as desired. Wash chicken inside and out thoroughly. Dry thoroughly with paper towels, inside and out.
- Heat the oil over medium heat a large cooking pot and brown whole chicken until golden brown.
- Add enough water to just cover the chicken. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, skimming off any foam and fat that accumulates on the surface.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, salt, pepper and bay leaf; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; cool slightly and remove the meat from bones, discarding bones and skin. Shred chicken into chunks and return to pot. Add the chicken base and noodles; reheat just to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro leaves and lime juice.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, top with a dollop of sour cream and pass the lime wedges and tortillas for accompaniment, as desired.
Makes 8 servings.
*I prefer and use Redi-Base soup bases available at www.redibase.com.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe; does not include toppings and accompaniments): 189.2 calories; 33% calories from fat; 6.9g total fat; 55.2mg cholesterol; 580.6mg sodium; 381.8mg potassium; 13.8g carbohydrates; 1.8g fiber; 2.6g sugar; 12.0g net carbs; 17.6g protein.