Chili - Fast & Good!
Chili that is almost as easy as opening up a can—but tastes so much better! If you prefer it tame, use a mild chili powder, and if hotter is better, then turn up the heat with hot chili powder. Serve with Hot Skillet Corn Bread, a simple tossed green salad and your favorite beverage.
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or masa harina)
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped (preferably Spanish or yellow)
1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced or ready-cut canned tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce, plus 1 can water
1 teaspoon beef base or bouillon*
1 (14.5-ounce) can kidney beans**, drained and rinsed
Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese for garnish (optional)
Sour cream for accompaniment (optional)
- In a small bowl stir together the flour, chili powder, Mexican seasoning, oregano leaves and ground cumin; set aside.
- In a large saucepan cook the hamburger, onion, garlic, salt and pepper together over medium-high heat, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the hamburger is cooked thoroughly and nicely browned. Drain any excess grease, as needed.
- Add the reserved flour/spice mixture to meat and cook, stirring constantly for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently (very important step, as the flour will settle to the bottom of the pan and scorch rather quickly.)
- Serve chili topped with a sprinkling of shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
*I prefer and use Redibase Royal Beef Base available at www.redibase.com.
**Pinto or black beans can be substituted, or omit the beans altogether and increase the amount of ground beef to 2 pounds.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 441.1 calories; 51% calories from fat; 24.8g total fat; 85.1mg cholesterol; 931.6mg sodium; 1033.7mg potassium; 28.6g carbohydrates; 7.6g fiber; 4.3g sugar; 21.1g net carbs; 27.3g protein.