Chili with Crispy Paprika Croutons
Recipe courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 1/4 cups beef stock or broth
1 tablespoon tomato purée
1 tablespoon mild chili powder
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 slices bread, (white, brown, or wholegrain) cut into cubes
Chopped fresh coriander for garnish (or cilantro)
Sour cream (optional)
- Soften onion and red pepper in the oil; add ground beef and brown quickly.
- Stir in flour and then add tomatoes, stock, tomato purée, chili powder, sugar and kidney beans. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Season with black pepper.
- For the Croutons: Heat the oil in a large fry pan and add the paprika, chili powder and garlic Add the bread cubes and toss until well coated. Place on a baking tray in a hot oven until golden.
- Serve chili topped with croutons, chopped coriander and sour cream.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.