Chilled Potato and Vegetable Chowder
A wonderful soup for the summertime, potato and vegetable chowder served chilled topped with a 'lattice' of colby cheese strips.
5 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth - divided use
1 cup diced Spanish onion
1/2 cup diced celery
3 cups diced new potatoes
2 cups frozen corn, red pepper and broccoli blend, thawed
1 cup low-fat milk
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 ounces Wisconsin Colby cheese, sliced, cut into 36 strips
- In a heavy soup pot, heat 1/4 cup broth. Add onions; cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add celery; cook for 1 minute.
- Add remaining broth and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In a blender, purée 1/2 of soup in batches until smooth; return puréed soup to chunky soup.
- Stir in vegetable blend, milk, parsley, salt and pepper; blend well. Cool slightly. Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
- To serve, ladle soup into serving bowls. Top each portion with 6 strips cheese, forming a lattice pattern over top. Serve chilled.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.