Colombian Barley Vegetable Soup
Recipe courtesy of California Ripe Olives.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 quart (4 cups) low sodium chicken broth
2 cups cooked barley
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup sliced California Ripe Olives
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground achiote or annatto (paprika may be substituted)
Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large saucepot over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until golden for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and continue cooking on medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes until golden.
- Pour in chicken broth, barley, corn, peas, California Ripe Olives and green onions and bring to a boil.
- Stir in cumin and achiote and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Turn heat down to simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice just before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 193; Calories From Fat: 46; Cholesterol: 10mg; Total Carbs: 30g; Protein: 6g; Sodium: 610mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Ripe Olives.