Corn, Red Pepper and Leek Soup
An exceptional cream soup with corn, red bell pepper and leeks.
2 tablespoons butter
3 leek ribs, cleaned and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cups loose-pack frozen corn kernels
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat butter in a large skillet and cook chopped leek ribs until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped red bell pepper and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add corn and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Pour into a food processor or blender fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth.
- Return to a saucepan and add cream, salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper, and chopped parsley. Heat through.
Makes 8 servings.