Country Bean Soup
A hearty country-style bean soup with carrots, turnips, leek and celery ladled over slices of toasted French bread.
1 (15-ounce) can light red kidney beans
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced
2 medium-sized turnips, peeled and sliced
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
1 large leek, cleaned and chopped, using all but the last inch of dark green
2 celery stalks, sliced
8 cups homemade or canned chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 thick slices from a large loaf of French bread, toasted
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chervil or parsley
- In a deep pot, over medium heat, melt the margarine. Add the carrots, turnips, onions, leek, and celery and cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes. Do not brown.
- Pour in the chicken broth. Over low heat, cook, covered, for 35 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the beans. Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon soup over the toasted bread in individual bowls. Lightly sprinkle with chervil or parsley.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy The Michigan Bean Commission.