Creole crawfish and okra gumbo. Shrimp can be used in place of the crawfish.
1/2 cup butter
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped, with their liquid
1/2 cup medium-brown roux
4 cups chicken broth or shrimp stock
2 pounds peeled crawfish tails*
3 cups Smothered Okra
Salt and cayenne to taste
Cooked rice for accompaniment
- Heat the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the onions, and bell peppers. Cook, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes more.
- Add the roux and blend well. Add the chicken broth or shrimp stock and bring to a gentle boil and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the crawfish and the okra, season with salt and cayenne, reduce to simmer, and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve with steamed white rice.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
*Shrimp may be used in place of crawfish.