Cream of Asparagus Soup 1
A savory cream of asparagus soup with butter-sautéed asparagus and onion, seasoned with dillweed and soy sauce.
1 1/2 pounds asparagus
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon dillweed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Cut off and discard the tough bottoms from asparagus. Cut off the tips and set aside.
- Coarsely chop the stalks.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chopped asparagus stalks with chopped onion in butter. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the onions are transparent.
- Sprinkle asparagus mixture with flour and continue to stir over low heat for 5 to 8 minutes. Slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly. Cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened. Cool slightly.
- In a blender or food processor, purée until the mixture is smooth. Return the purée to a large kettle with milk, dillweed, salt, white pepper, and soy sauce. Add the asparagus tips and heat gently, but do not boil.
Makes 4 servings.