Creamy Brie Soup
Silky smooth cream of Brie soup with sautéed leeks and garlic, seasoned with bay leaf and thyme.
2 large leeks (white portion only)
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 quart chicken broth or bouillon
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon thyme
12 ounces Wisconsin Brie cheese, ripe but firm
2 cups half-and-half (light cream)
Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Thoroughly wash and thinly slice leeks.
- In 3 quart saucepan cook leeks and garlic in butter over low heat 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes.
- Add broth, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil; simmer gently 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Remove rind from cheese; discard. Cut cheese into small chunks. Add to saucepan with half-and-half (light cream). Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into small soup bowls. Dust each serving with paprika. If you wish, accompany with toasted baguette slice spread with additional Brie cheese.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.