Creamy Buttermilk Beet Soup
An exceptional low-fat, creamy buttermilk and beet soup with crisp, homemade Parmesan and cracked black pepper croutons.
2 1/4 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken stock - divided use
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
4 cups canned beets, drained - divided use
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Wisconsin Parmesan cheese
Salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 slices (1/2 inch thick) French bread
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 tablespoons grated Wisconsin Parmesan Cheese
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- In small, heavy saucepan, cook onions in 1/4 cup stock until onions are limp.
- Add 3 cups beets and remaining 2 cups stock; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly and purée until very smooth.
- Pour mixture into large container with a lid. Stir in buttermilk, Parmesan cheese and remaining 1 cup beets, diced. Season as needed with salt and pepper. Cover and chill at least 4 hours before serving.
- To serve, ladle approximately 1 cup soup into soup bowl and top with a Parmesan Crouton.
- For Parmesan Croutons: Place bread slices on baking sheet and lightly brush with oil. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan and pepper.
- Bake croutons at 400°F (205°C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbling. Cool and serve with chilled soup.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.