Creamy Pumpkin Curry Soup
Pumpkin and chicken broth are beautifully blended with sautéed garlic and onions to form the base of this fabulous soup. Curry, coriander and crushed red pepper add zest, flavor and liveliness to this creamy combination.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 cups water
2 to 3 MAGGI Chicken Flavor Bouillon Cubes
1 (15-ounce) can LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in curry powder, coriander and crushed red pepper; cook for 1 minute. Add water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes to develop flavors. Stir in pumpkin and evaporated milk; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Transfer mixture to food processor or blender (in batches, if necessary); cover. Blend until creamy. Serve warm or reheat to desired temperature. Garnish with dollop of sour cream and chives, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Preparation Tip: Soup may be prepared the day ahead. Cool to room temperature after adding pumpkin and evaporated milk. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, blend then reheat to serving temperature, but do not boil.
- For a vegetarian soup, replace chicken bouillon cubes with MAGGI Vegetarian Vegetable Flavor Bouillon Cubes.
- To reduce calories and fat, substitute regular evaporated milk with NESTLÉ CARNATION Evaporated Fat Free Milk.
- To reduce carbohydrates, substitute evaporated milk with 1 1/2 cups Original NESTLÉ COFFEE-MATE Liquid Coffee Creamer.
- To make lactose-free, substitute evaporated milk with Original NESTLÉ COFFEE-MATE Liquid Coffee Creamer.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 216 Calories from Fat: 143 Total Fat: 15.9 g Saturated Fat: 9.8 g Cholesterol: 46 mg Sodium: 1279 mg Carbohydrates: 15.5 g Dietary Fiber: 5.3 g Sugars: 3.4 g Protein: 4.7 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.