Creamy Spinach Soup
A quick and easy, made-from-scratch, cream of spinach soup.
1 cup frozen spinach, thawed
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 3/4 cups water - divided use
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons milk
Hot sauce for sprinkling
- Combine spinach, garlic and as much water as necessary (generally 1/4 cup is ample) in a food processor; process to form a purée.
- Combine the spinach purée with 1 1/2 cups water in a 3-quart stainless steel saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil.
- Add milk, salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Stir together cornstarch and skim milk in a cup. Gradually add to the saucepan, stirring, until the soup is thickened to desired consistency. Strain if you prefer a smooth texture.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with the hot sauce to taste.
Makes 4 servings.