Creamy Turkey Soup
Recipe courtesy of National Turkey Federation.
1/2 cup (1/4-inch diced) celery,
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
6 cups turkey broth, heated
3 cups pulled turkey or cooked turkey, light and dark meat, cubed
1 cup milk, heated
1/3 cup chopped pimientos
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Garlic croutons for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter and sauté celery and onions 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir flour and seasonings into vegetable mixture. Cook 5 to 6 minutes at medium heat.
- Gradually whisk turkey broth into vegetable mixture. Cook at medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce is slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Fold turkey into sauce and continue cooking 15 minutes.
- Stir in milk, pimiento, and parsley. Continue cooking until a temperature of 160°F (71.1°C) is reached.
- Serve each portion garnished with garlic croutons, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 301; Total Fat: 17g; Cholesterol: 29mg; Total Carbs: 23g; Protein: 14g; Sodium: 1275mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Turkey Federation.