Cremini Mushroom & Roasted Garlic Rice Soup
Rich and velvety this soup can be served in tumblers, mugs or traditional soup bowls with crusty bread sticks and a colorful salad.
1/3 cup butter
1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 large sweet mild onion, finely chopped
3 cups cooked Texmati brown rice - divided use
1 (6.5-ounce) container garlic and herbs spreadable cheese
2 (14-ounce) cans roasted garlic seasoned chicken broth - divided use
2 cups water, additional if desired
8 slices smoked bacon, cooked and chopped for garnish
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large non-stick stockpot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook about 10 minutes, stirring periodically. Let mixture cool slightly.
- In food processor or blender, combine mushroom mixture, 1 1/2 cups rice, cheese and 1 cup broth. Pulse mixture until mushrooms are finely chopped, but not puréed and mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Return mixture to stockpot; stir in remaining rice, broth and water. Bring to a boil; cook uncovered over medium heat for five minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to soup to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Tip: Garnish with additional sautéed mushrooms and chives, sliced green onions, or other fresh herbs, such as sage or thyme.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of RiceSelect; through ARA Content.