This is one of our most popular recipes.
Economical, quick and easy, this wholesome and delicious soup
is a satisfying meal in a bowl. Serve with hot cornbread or crusty
bread rolls to round out the meal.
Another delicious recipe from our Family-Favorite
Easy Hamburger Vegetable
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 large carrots, pared and sliced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 cups of water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons beef base* or boullion
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt - or to
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- or to taste
- Prep the first 6 ingredients and set aside.
- In a large cooking pot, brown the ground
beef over medium high heat; drain excess grease.
- Add the onion and garlic; cook until onion
has slightly softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water, beef base, bay
leaf, basil, parsley, Worcestershire sauce,Tabasco, salt and
pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add the bell pepper, celery, potatoes
and carrots and bring to a boil; cover and simmer until vegetables
Makes 8 servings.
*I prefer and use Redi-Base soup bases
available at www.redibase.com.
Tip: For a delicious and easy flavor variation,
add a jar of marinara sauce, or better yet, your own leftover
spaghetti sauce to the soup.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8
of recipe): 278.6 calories; 39% calories from fat; 12.0g total
fat; 42.5mg cholesterol; 491.8mg sodium; 1116.2mg potassium;
30.1g carbohydrates; 4.0g fiber; 5.3g sugar; 26.1g net carbs;
Copyright Hope Pryor, please see Terms
of Use. Photograph by Hope Pryor; property of CooksRecipes.com.