Easy Black Bean Soup with Cheese Garnish
Not only is this spicy black bean soup easy, it's delicious, too!
3 cups homemade or canned chicken broth - divided use
1 cup Spanish onions (1 medium onion), diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 (16-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup prepared Mexican tomato-based salsa
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
4 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped - divided use
Salt to taste
1/2 cup Wisconsin Jalapeño or Sharp Cheddar Cold Pack*
- Heat 1/2 cup broth with onions and garlic in deep saucepan. Simmer, covered, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add remaining broth, black beans, salsa and cumin. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer soup, partially covered, for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Purée half the soup in blender of food processor. Add back to pan with remaining soup. Add 3 tablespoons cilantro and heat. Salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining cilantro with the Cold Pack cheese in small bowl.
- Ladle soup into four bowls and top each with a portion of the cheese.
Makes 4 servings.
*Or substitute with shredded Wisconsin Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack Cheese.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.