Fiesta Pasta Soup
Recipe courtesy of the National Pasta Association.
3 ounces vermicelli pasta, uncooked
1/2 pound sausage, sliced thin
2 (14.5-ounce) cans chicken broth
1 cup water
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (14.5-ounce) can Mexi-corn, drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon lime juice
- In kettle, simmer sausage in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Drain water, cook meat over medium heat until browned. Cut meat into pieces.
- Add broth, tomatoes, and spices to sausage; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add pasta, corn, beans; cover and simmer 10 minutes until pasta is cooked.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Garnish each serving with minced fresh cilantro, sliced avocado and shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 332; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Total Carbs: 35g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 15g; Sodium: 1075mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Pasta Association.