Stock forms the basis for many dishes such as soups and sauces.
2 to 3 pounds fish bones, heads and tails
6 cups water
2 cups dry white wine
2 medium onions, thinly sliced (or 1 medium onion and 1 leek, thinly sliced)
1 carrot, thinly sliced
6 parsley sprigs
1 bay leaf
4 black peppercorns
- Rinse fish parts; remove gills, if necessary. Crack large bones. Place trimmings and bones in a large kettle. Add water and wine. Bring to a boil. Boil gently 5 minutes, skimming foam from surface until surface is clear.
- Reduce to a simmer. Add onion, leek (if using),carrot, parsley and bay leaf. Simmer 20 minutes, skimming foam from surface until surface is clear.
- Add peppercorns. Simmer 10 minutes longer. Strain stock through a fine colander or sieve lined with several layers of cheesecloth.
- Discard bones and vegetables.
- Season stock when used in a soup, stew or sauce.
Makes about 7 cups.