Florida Gulf Shrimp and Okra Gumbo
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
2 pounds medium Florida Gulf shrimp - peeled and deveined
1/2 cup olive oil
2 pounds chopped Florida okra
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 Florida tomato, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped Florida celery
1/2 cup chopped green Florida bell pepper
6 cups water or low sodium vegetable stock
1/2 cup chopped green onions
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
- Season the shrimp with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the okra and sauté for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste, tomato, onion, garlic, celery and green bell pepper and sauté for 15 more minutes.
- Add the water or stock and season to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and simmer for 6 more minutes Finally, add the green onion to the soup and stir thoroughly.
- Serve with rice.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.