French Onion Soup
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.
6 medium onions, halved
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
8 cups 99% fat free reduced sodium beef broth
1/2 cup red wine or sherry
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
8 (1-inch) slices French bread
4 ounces chilled mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Slice onions.
- Heat oil in saucepan and stir in onions. Caramelize, uncovered, on low heat for 25 minutes or until golden brown, stirring often. Stir in sugar and flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Prepare a large saucepan with the broth, wine, bay leaf, basil, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes, covered. Add the onion mixture to the broth mixture and stir.
- Dry bread in oven at 325°F (160°C) (160°C) for about 20 minutes.
- Shred mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Pour soup into individual oven-proof bowls. Top each with bread slice. Sprinkle with variety of cheeses.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) (180°C) about 15 minutes, then lightly broil to brown cheese. Serve.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 240; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Total Carbs: 30g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 10g; Sodium: 720mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.