French Onion Soup:
Recipe Inspired by Pinewood Supper Club, Mosinee, Wisconsin
This delicious recipe for French onion soup was inspired by the soup served at the Pinewood Supper Club in Mosinee, Wisconsin.
3 tablespoons butter
6 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced
8 cups beef broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
Salt, to taste
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin Gruyère or Aged Swiss Cheese, shredded
1 sheet (1/2 package) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- In a large, heavy saucepan, melt butter. Add onions, turn heat to low and sauté until onions are transparent, about 30 seconds.
- Add beef broth, wine, salt and pepper. Simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Before serving, preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Ladle hot soup into 6 individual soup crocks or cups (about 1 1/2 cups in each) and top each with 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese.
- Cut puff pastry sheets into 6 equal squares. Place pastry square on top of bowls. Gently press pastry to the edges of the bowls to seal.
- Bake until pastry is golden, about 10 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.