Golden Squash and Cheddar Soup
A delicious, creamy purée of butternut squash soup with cheddar cheese.
3 to 3 1/2 pounds butternut squash
3 1/2 cups sliced leeks (white and light green portions)
2 tablespoons butter
2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 3/4 cups shredded Wisconsin Mild Cheddar cheese
1 3/4 cups sour cream
2 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- Halve squash lengthwise. Place cut sides down on baking sheet. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until tender, about 40 minutes. Remove and discard seeds; scoop out pulp.
- In 3 quart saucepan, cook leeks in butter over low heat until wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, thyme, pepper and squash pulp; mix.
- Blend until smooth in two batches.
- Return to saucepan. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Gradually stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted; do not boil.
- To serve, ladle in bowls; garnish with sour cream, the remaining cheese and the green onions.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.