Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Hot and hearty Hungarian beef soup with
diced potatoes and onion, seasoned with paprika, marjoram and
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 pound beef chuck or sirloin, trimmed,
cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 to 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons beef base or bouillon granules
- 2 large potatoes peeled, cut into 1/4-inch
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven
on medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently,
until lightly browned. Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle with paprika
and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add beef and increase heat to medium.
Allow meat to very lightly brown. Sprinkle with salt, pepper,
vinegar and tomato paste; stir to blend. Simmer on medium heat
for 3 to 4 minutes. Add marjoram, caraway seeds, garlic, water
and beef base. Bring to boil on high heat. Cover and reduce heat
to a simmer. Simmer gently for 45 minutes or until meat is almost
- Add potatoes and simmer 15 to 20 minutes
or until meat and potatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Makes 6 servings.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.