Hale and Hearty Beef Stew
The rich flavors of this stew are enhanced by the long simmering time.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium beef broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 celery rib, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed - divided use
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried basil
4 medium white potatoes, well-scrubbed and diced
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup loose-pack frozen peas
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and season with pepper. Brown meat on all sides. Stir in broth, tomatoes, celery, half the garlic, bay leaf, salt, fennel and basil. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Add potatoes, onions and carrots. Cover and continue cooking over low heat until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Just before serving, stir in parsley, tomato paste and remaining garlic.
Makes 6 servings.