When made with meat, this soup is a hearty main dish that needs only a salad, bread and a glass of milk to complete the meal.
2 medium onions, chopped
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup shredded cabbage
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup peeled and diced potatoes
2 cups peeled and diced beets
6 1/2 cups water
1 cup low sodium tomato juice
2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
Fresh dill and parsley to taste
Low-fat or fat-free sour cream for garnish (optional)
- In a large soup pot, sauté onion, carrot, celery and cabbage in canola oil until cooked.
- Add potatoes and beets and continue to sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add water, tomato juice and stock. Season with lemon juice, bay leaves and salt. Allow to simmer until potatoes are cooked about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add dill and parsley near the end of the cooking time.
- Remove from heat and serve. Garnish each bowl with 1 tablespoon low-fat or fat-free sour cream, if desired.
Makes 14 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/14 of recipe): Calories: 90; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 12g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 2g; Sodium: 400mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.